Thursday, October 27, 2011

The game of Cricket

Before our class on the topic of Cricket I had only been exposed to the sport from videos I had seen on YouTube and highlights I had viewed on ESPN. I had zero understanding of the game and how it was played. After watching the game we viewed in class I would say that I would be interested in trying to play the game sometime but I feel as thought I would not be addicted to the game or purse the game with a passion because of the fact that there are not alot of organizations or leagues in the United States that partake in this sport.

I wish that the U.S. wasn't so obsessed with just a few sports and that people would be more inclined to try and set up new teams or leagues of different teams or sports from other countries. It would be interesting to attend a game and see what it would be like to actually attend a game and experience the atmosphere. From what I saw on the video, the momentum of the game can change at any moment and to me that's very exciting. I also think it would be more fun to attend a game where it was one country vs. another country compared to just a local game between to local area clubs. I hope that one day I will get the chance to experience a cricket game for myself so that I can decide if it is something that I would be interesting in seeing again.

3 comments:

  1. Nick,

    Prior to this class, I also had very little knowledge of the sport cricket. I had no knowledge of the rules of the game and had only seen some highlights on television. Like you, after viewing the game in class, I was also intrigued by the sport where before I had no interest in learning more about it. As you point out, this sport receives little to no media attention in the United States where we focus mostly on a few select sports ¬–such as football, baseball, basketball. I agree that I do not believe the sport of cricket will suddenly grow in popularity in America. I did like that cricket seems to be an action-oriented sport. My favorite sports (football, soccer, and hockey) are all full of play-by-play action. Given the opportunity, I would choose to attend a cricket game in person to better understand the sport from a fan’s point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree the U.S. should promote more sports than the average. I have became a fan of cricket since we discussed the game and it's rules. I would love to see a cricket league in the U.S. one day. I believe the market is here but the promotion is not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is an organization that promotes cricket in the U.S. and it can be found at the following site: http://usaca.org/

    I wish I could find the article I told you about (in Details or Vibe) because I think the U.S. team from L.A. (Compton, to be exact) would have been fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete