Friday, December 9, 2011

Conclusion

Coming into this course I was unsure about the types of topics we would discuss and how in depth we would get into them. One of my favorite things about this class is how we get into discussions as a class and how opinionated it is. This type of learning has led to alot of new insight on topics to me that I had never thought of before. The subject matter in this course really challenged me to think and analyze situations. I also enjoyed the topics because some of them I had not been exposed to yet. The game of cricket was very interesting to me and it is something that I hope to get to attend one day. I also enjoyed studying how sport can impact a country on a global level and bring it together. The rugby world cup story in South Africa really showed a good example of this.

Another favorite part of the class was having guest speakers come in. I really had a good time listening to the effect of hooliganism in Europe from Dr. Meek. He was a very interesting guy and really left a lasting mark on the class with his presentation and personal experience with soccer fans fighting for their favorite clubs.Another favorite of mine was listening to the presentation on Octagon. I thought it was an eye opening experience to a professional field in which I hadn't looked into before. Working for an agency like that in the golf department would be a dream of mine.

This class was one of my favorite classes this semester and I really had my eyes opened to sport on a global level. The presentations and examples from speakers brought in really mad it an enjoyable experience. I think classes like these are important in the United States because as Americans we can be narrow minded when it comes to sports. An example of this is that America is obsessed with football. We don't realize that soccer(futbol) is the most popular sport in the world. I would say that without a doubt my favorite class discussions were on the topic of soccer. In all, I will miss this class and the experiences I had in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment