Friday, December 9, 2011

Paralympics

When we discussed the paralympics in class I had no idea how in depth we would get on the subject. I had volunteered in high school selling tickets at a paralympic event but have never experienced watching the athletic events in person. I was moved by the perseverance that these athletes went through and was also inspired by their stories. I had seen the video shown in class of the paralympic volleyball while i was in Dr. Spencers sport history and philosophy class. I was impressed at the the intensity of the sport as well. I think its great that these sports are being shown.

While these sports are covered by the media, I still feel that the coverage is still nothing close to what it could be. I believe this is due to the fact that in our society, people without limbs or that seem different is still a taboo. I believe that this will continue to take place unless there is a movement where athletes and members of the paralympic committee come forth and demand the same coverage on national television stations. Spreading the word on this matter will increase awareness and make people take notice.

Overall I enjoyed this class and found all of the different stories very motivational and inspiring. I also liked the fact that these athletes did not want anyone to feel sorry for them. It shows their mental toughness and love for the sport.

No comments:

Post a Comment